Dr Nagendra Prasad one of the prolific lyricists of Kannada cinema, director of a few Kannada films looking for novel ideas and progressive in his life celebrated his birthday on Monday visiting the orphan house, taking blessings from Sri Shivakumara Swamy of Siddaganga Math and enjoying the evening with 'Bhavageetha, Janapada Geethe and Ranga Geethe'.
A day without cinema songs is my birthday continuing since a long time says the lyricist 12 years stint in Kannada writing over 1000 songs and directing four films Nalla, Ambi, Meghave Meghave and Vinayaka Geleyara Balaga.
A man with flowing ideas Dr Nagendra Prasad V spoke to this correspondent a day prior to his birthday. Here are the highlights of a brief chat:
· Like every year I celebrate my birthday with orphans in the society. This year I am seeking the centurion Sri Shivakumara Swamiji blessings. I visit the place of legendary Sri Shivakumara Swamiji. In the evening it is a celebration with 'Bhavageethe, Ranga Geethe and Janapada Geethe' singing.
· For this year birthday the special song I prepared is for 'Muddu Manasu' Kannada film. It is 'Aregannada' that is also 'Halgannada'
· I have used the words like Modal, Kadhal, bagil, negil etc. it is a Pakka commercial song.
· The condition of present day lyricists is ten times better than previous writers.
· I have received payment from Rs.500 to Rs.50000 so far in my career of 12 years.
· In the yesteryears they were writing for the situation out of imagination. They were very much part of the cinema. They did not thought of money as very important. 'Yeega only Anukarane'. We just follow.
· Like how my seniors had bounced cheques. I also had around 25 bounced cheques that I tore it off.
· For the stability in life three things are important - Health, Name and Money. The first one = Health is in ourselves. Second one is what requires hard work, sincerity and devotion. In my life I have got the name that I did not expect. Last one is 'Money' is not sufficient and it is increasing.
· When I was individual I was hoping for Rs.5 lakhs a year, when I got married it became Rs.10 lakhs and after children if it is Rs.50 lakhs a year it is not enough.
· However this money and work cannot be clubbed. For writing songs 'Manassu Prafulla Agirbeku' Mindset should be free from hassles.
· I don't see any relation to having money or no money at the time of writing.
· My lifetime feeling is that the satisfaction to the core is important. There is no need to get money for this song - this situation I should reach and song satisfaction only can give. That is called 'Atma Trupti' - when a song written reaches for all ages and all stages linger in memory for ever is what I am looking. The search continues.