close
Choose your channels

Aspiring actress brain damaged after eating pretzel; family gets Rs. 220 crore

Monday, April 12, 2021 • Tamil Comments

A Las Vegas jury awarded $29.5 million to the family of 27-year-old model and aspiring actress Chantel Giacalone after she was negligibly treated by a MedicWest Ambulance.

The 27-year-old model fell into an anaphylactic shock at a Las Vegas convention in February 2013 after she took a bite out of a pretzel infused with peanut butter. Giacalone's attorney reportedly argued that a MedicWest Ambulance team on the scene was not equipped with IV epinephrine, an adrenaline treatment, which is mandated by the Southern Nevada Health District. As a result of the lack of equipment, Giacalone lost oxygen for a period of time, ultimately leading to the brain damage. While MedicWest refuted any wrongdoing on their part, attorney William Drury argued that the model never lost consciousness.

Following the verdict on Friday, Giacalone's father was quoted as saying, "At least my daughter will be taken care of. I’m happy about that. All the anguish that we’ve been through for the last eight years, I’m not happy about. I just hope MedicWest changes their ways."

Get Breaking News Alerts From IndiaGlitz