Choose your channels

18 tourists fall sick of food poisoning in Kerala

Wednesday, May 4, 2022 • Tamil Comments
Listen to article
--:-- / --:--
This is a beta feature and we would love to hear your feedback?
Send us your feedback to

After a 16-year-old girl died and at least 49 others were hospitalized on May 1, due to suspected food poisoning from an eatery in Kerala’s Kasaragod, another food poisoning incident has been reported in the state. On Tuesday, an18 members of a tourist group suffered health problems after eating food from three separate restaurants in Wayanad. Reportedly, the tourist group comprising 23 people had come from Thiruvananthapuram to Wayanad and taken food from three different places in Wayanad district on Monday. Though it's is not possible to accurately suspect which restaurant had actually caused the food poisoning, an eatery at Kalpetta is in the suspected list. It is because after the tourists had dinner from that restaurant, they experienced food poisoning and discomforts. The Police said the health of all 18 persons was stable and that teams of police and health officials have gone to inspect all three establishments.

It was on Sunday, a 16-year-old girl named Devananda, died at the Kanhangad district hospital while undergoing treatment for food poisoning. Forty-nine students were hospitalized and some were discharged after undergoing treatment. The girl had eaten chicken shawarma on Friday from a food outlet called Ideal Food Point at Neeleswaram in Kasargod. A case has been registered against the shop, which has been sealed following investigations.

Follow us on Google News and stay updated with the latest!