Choose your channels

Will DC upset MI to win its maiden IPL title?

Monday, November 9, 2020 • Tamil Sport News Comments
Listen to article
--:-- / --:--
This is a beta feature and we would love to hear your feedback?
Send us your feedback to

The D-Day is finally here: after 51 days almost non-stop cricketing action, the ongoing IPL-13 has reached its climax.  For Delhi Capitals (DC), it’s a never-before experience to be in the finals while for Mumbai Indians (MI), this would be their 6th appearance in the final, having won the title four times (2013, 2015, 2017, 2019) besides losing to CSK in 2010. 

It's a classic case of youthful exuberance versus experience as DC, without an iota of doubt the team with most number of youngsters in IPL, is pitted against MI, the team with experienced players for all seasons and reasons. 

Who's the best? 

Both MI and DC didn’t have a very great beginning at the start of the tournament and suffered some unexpected losses en route to booking their place in the finals.  While MI defeated DC comprehensively in Qualifier 1 and reached the finals, DC waited for the result of SRH Vs RCB and then got the better of SRH in a high-scoring thriller at Abu Dhabi on Sunday.  Both the teams are evenly matched in batting, bowling and fielding prowess except that MI had been on 'big-game' occasions more frequently. 

Head-to-head clashes 

MI has enjoyed a slight edge over DC by winning 15 out of the 27matches between them so far.  This year, though, Mumbai Indians have steamrolled Delhi Capitals in all the three matches that they have played in UAE (2 in the league stage and the Qualifier 1).  As such, MI is billed as the strong favourites to win the trophy. 

MI's all-round strength 

Though Rohit hasn't performed so well till now, MI is in the final thanks to its strong top order, middle order and lower-middle order.  Likes of Quinton de Kock, Suryakumar Yadav, Ishan Kishen, Hardik Pandya, Krunal Pandya and Kierol Pollard have been firing regularly in almost all the matches.  Kiwi Trent Boult and India's Jasprit Bumrah add teeth to MI’s bowling attack which is also bolstered by Aussie Pattinson, Krunal Pandya and Rahul Chahar. 

DC's hopes pinned on batters

Stoinis replaced Prithvi Shah as DC’s opener in Qualifier 2 and fired straightaway.  Known as ‘Mr. Hulk’ in the dressing room for his rippling biceps, Stoinis bats well, picks up important wickets and fields marvelously.  Shikhar, Shreyas, Rahane, Pant, Hetmyer, Stoinis and Axar Patel can pile up runs against any attack on any day.  One of these has to bat till the last against MI to make it count for DC.  Rabada, Nortje and R Ashwin would do well to pick up at least two wickets in their quota of four overs each. 

Getting MI's top order early and putting pressure on the middle-order would greatly enhance DC’s cup-winning chances.  Shikhar (603 runs) is DC's highest-scoring batsman while Ishan Kishan (433 runs) is MI’s highest scorer.  Rabada holds the most wickets this season (29) followed by Bumrah (27 wickets). 

Form indicator

Based on past performances, 'Form' indicators says MI has 61% chance of winning while DC as 39% to beat MI. 

Dubai has traditionally helped spinners and slow bowlers.  Both MI and DC would look to capitalize on this. 183 is the successfully chased highest score here. 

Expected XI: 

MI: Quinton de Kock, Rohit, Suryakumar Yadav, Ishan Kishan, Hardik, Pollard, Krunal Pandya, James Pattinson, Boult, Bumrah and Rahul Chahar

DC: Stoinis, Dhawan, Rahane, Shreyas, Pant, Hetmyer, Axar Patel, R. Ashwin, Rabada, Nortje and Praveen Dube.

Follow us on Google News and stay updated with the latest!